Friday, May 12, 2017

Fractured Ulna


Brody was playing on the floor with Violet one night and rolled her over from her belly to her back.  Her arm got stuck behind her and she cried out loudly.  She kept crying and wouldn't move her arm, so we figured her elbow had come out of socket again.  Greg and I couldn't get it back into place, so Greg took her to instacare.  The doctor also couldn't get it back into place, so he sent her to get x-rays.  Violet came back from the scans happy and moving her arm, so we all assumed the x-ray technician popped the elbow back into place, which is exactly what had occurred the last time her elbow dislocated.  Imagine my surprise when the next day I received a call from the radiologist saying Violet had a fractured arm.  We immediately took her into instacare to get her arm in a splint and then later that week took her to Primary Children's Hospital for a cast.

She did not like the splint, and got very frustrated with it.  The cast hasn't bothered her at all.  In fact, she sometimes plays with it by banging it against things, or chews on the soft wrap underneath the hard cast.

Brody felt awful for hurting her.  He loves her so much and was crushed that he had injured her.  That night as I was trying to comfort him, he didn't even want to be hugged.  He just wanted to be alone and cry.  It broke my heart.  I've never had a child not want to be comforted before; it was a very adult reaction.  Brody was a little nervous to touch her for a couple days after the accident, but is now back to himself.  Brody and all the other kids signed her cast and drew hearts on it.

She only has to wear the cast for three weeks.  She's so small and petite, the cast draws a lot of attention and sympathy from others.  I was pretty upset about it for the first few days, and got teary eyed just about every time I looked at her.  I just hate when my kids are hurting; I don't handle it well.  I'm grateful for a level headed husband who is always ready to steps up and help out.

No comments: