Thursday, February 5, 2015

Kid Dates

Greg and I have started taking the kids (just the older boys for now) on a monthly date.  Each month Greg and I each take a turn taking Palmer or Brody out for some one on one time, and the next month we alternate who we spend the evening with.  The boys love it!  And Greg and I have both feel the evenings are very beneficial, for the boys and for us.  We get to see a different side of the kids when they are getting that undivided attention that they unfortunately don't get too often.

The first date night we had planned was at a local trampoline park.  Brody and Greg had already gone to the park the week before.  Palmer was beyond excited for his turn!  When Palmer and I arrived at the trampoline park I was very upset to see a sign on the door stating the park would be closed to the public for a private party only ten minutes after we had arrived.  I had checked their website calendar that very afternoon, and there was no mention of the early closure.  We went in to talk with the employees to see if there was anyway we could still come in; they said no. Palmer and I were upset.  I told her how frustrated I was that they had not advertised correctly on their website.  She gave me a couple coupons, but Palmer and I walked out very disappointed.  Once outside, Palmer broke down crying.  I hugged him and told him how sorry I was about not being able to go that night, and said we could plan another night.  He nodded his head, but continued to cry.  He wasn't throwing a fit, he was just genuinely sad, and my heart went out to him.  As we drove away, I was getting angrier and angrier.  My momma bear instinct was coming out and I was mad.  I was expressing that anger aloud to Palmer and repeating that it wasn't okay that the park had not updated their correct hours for the evening; that they were in the wrong.  Palmer interjected amidst sniffles, "Mom, it's okay.  They just made a mistake.  Everyone makes mistakes."  My goodness, what words of wisdom and understanding from the mouth of a six year old!  That sweet statement immediately dismissed all my anger.  I told him he was right.  We then discussed when we could come back.  He said he didn't want to reschedule his date with me that evening.  He suggested we use the coupons to come back with the whole family that weekend, so the twins could play too.  I thought that was a very good idea.

Despite the change in plans, Palmer and I had a great date night.  We went to Leatherbys for some fries and ice cream.  Then we ended the evening at the library were we read books together and played games.  Palmer talked the whole night!  He was so happy to have me all to himself, and I was so grateful for an evening that had reminded me just what an amazing son I have!  He has such a tender heart.  He is kind.  He is empathetic.  He is wise beyond his years.  I just adore him!

No comments: