Sunday, January 25, 2015

Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream

I tried a new recipe this week.  It was yummy.  I ended up making a ton of these, 45 to be exact!  I had planned on making them for Brody's preschool Ms. Mele who had her last day teaching this past Wednesday (So sad!  We are going to miss her!), and I wanted to also bring some to Brody's other preschool teacher Ms. Autumn.  Then I thought I should take some to the daycare workers at the fitness center who are so kind to me and my kids, and I wanted to take a lot to them so the next shift of workers would get some too.  Then Greg told me a coworker asked that I made him some cupcakes because Greg had been bragging about them, haha.  And I want to take some to a friend who was having a rough time.  So, long story short, the demand for cupcakes this time around was a big one.  I'm glad the recipe turned out to be a keeper since I was sending them to just about everyone I knew!

Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream

1 package white cake mix
1 package (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Lemon Flavor Instant Pudding
1 cup waters
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons oil
1package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons lemon juice
16 oz. powdered sugar, or more if needed for thickening

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat first five ingredients in a large bowl until blended well.  Batter will be thick.  Spoon into 24 paper lined muffin tins.  Bake 21-24 minutes until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.  Cool in pans 10 minutes.  Remove to wire racks and cool completely.  For icing, beat cream cheese, butter and lemon juice in a large bowl with mixer.  Gradually add in sugar until blended.  Spread on cupcakes.

I topped each cupcake with a Lemoncello Almond (Sariah bought us a bag from Costco; they are delicious).  It was the perfect addition.

2 comments:

Sariah Nichols said...

Are those Lemon Chellos I see?? Those look delich!

Erika said...

This looks really good, I'm going to have to try them soon!