Monday, April 21, 2014

P is for Psoriasis (Even if It's Silent)

Our poor P man.  Lately he has had skin irritation after skin irritation.  Almost a year later, Palmer is still dealing with his Molluscum Catagiosum.  Most of the bumps aren't too uncomfortable, but they keep him from taking baths and more importantly (to a five year old) keep him from being able to go swimming.  He also recently had an irregular mole removed from the left side of his head.

A couple weeks ago he told me his knees were really itchy.  I pulled up his pant leg to find what I thought was hives.  I noticed that he also had welts on his elbows.  He's gotten hives before, so we knew the drill and we gave him allergy medication.  The next day, after a few doses of Benadryl, the "hives" were getting much worse and not looking much like hives anymore.  Greg took him to the instacare and Palmer was diagnoses with Psoriasis.  Big bummer since there is no cure and he'll have to deal with it his whole life.  He was prescribed a steroid cream and it has helped the affected area a lot.  I have noticed he is a little self conscious about the Psoriasis.  He asked to wear long sleeves and long pants to school even though it was very hot outside.  Since it's mostly cleared up, he has gone back to his short sleeves and shorts.  The disease will come and go through his life.  I'm sure there will be other times when he will be embarrassed about it.

Brody has begun to get huge cancer sores in his mouth just like Greg does.  His dentist informed me that when they get to a certain size, which Brody's and Greg's are some of the biggest the doctor has seen, they are actually classified as a type of ulcer.  Once again, there is no cure, and treatment hardly even works for their type of cancer sores.

I know it's part of life to go through illnesses and trials, but the mother in me just wishes I could take away all their pain.  I hurt when they hurt.  I've jokingly told Greg that both of these cases are his fault, since both ailments can be tracked back through his family genes.  Poor kids, they have to inherit all their parents' problems.  Hopefully there's enough good in us as well to balance them out.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Hi Lera, Adrienne's friend Courtney here. I check your blog here and there and just came across this post. My nieces and a neighbor have Psocriasis and taking probiotics has really helped them to not have outbreaks. Just wanted to share that with you and I hope the little boys are better soon.

Courtney said...

Hi Lera, Adrienne's friend Courtney here. I check your blog here and there and just came across this post. My nieces and a neighbor have Psocriasis and taking probiotics has really helped them to not have outbreaks. Just wanted to share that with you and I hope the little boys are better soon.

Lera said...

Thank you for the tip! I appreciate it.