Wednesday, January 29, 2014

RSV x 4

I write times four, because the twins have already had to deal with the nasty RSV bug, and there are two infected babies, therefore, I have taken care of four babies with RSV in the past year!  It is craziness I tell you!

The babies had trouble sleeping the first couple nights after the move, which we figured was mostly because of the new environment.  Sunday they had a little cough, nothing too severe.  Monday night Avonlea started wheezing.  When I heard the wheeze I realized the cough they had sounded just like the last time they had RSV.  I called Greg home from a late shift at work so that I could take Avonlea to instacare.  They doctor checked her out and confirmed my guess of RSV.  They gave her a breathing treatment, which helped, and sent me home with a prescription for an inhaler.

This time around was definitely less scary than last time.  Thankfully there was no hospital time.  The babies are almost a year older and thereby handled the illness better.  They didn't need any suctioning since they could cough well enough to move things around.  Avonlea needed a breathing treatment each night before bed, I gave them both a lot of warm baths, a humidifier in their room and regular doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and we made it through.  They were pretty clingy and whiny, but never got to the point of being lethargic like last time.

Our other kids never got RSV; we were lucky.  But I think the twins having it twice made up for that.  I am asked quite often how I deal with having twins, and I always reply that it's a lot of fun.  And it is!  I love being a mom of multiples.  It fits me well, except when they are sick.  I don't know what it is about two sick babies, but I just meltdown.  I definitely could never work in the medical field.  I just don't have it in me.  I'm grateful there are others out there with the gift of caring and healing.  I'm very glad last week is behind us.  I am much happier and healthier now that the babies are happy and healthy themselves.

No comments: