Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recipe - Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

I don't know why, but this summer I have been craving Philly Cheesesteaks.  This is especially odd because before a couple years ago, I didn't even like the sandwich.  We've eaten out a few times to pacify my craving; they aren't exactly cheap.  So when my most recently bought cookbook had a recipe for cheesesteaks, I knew it was a sign for me to give them a try at home.  I adapted this recipe from Family Favorite Recipes.  And it was great; definitely worthy to be a family favorite!

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

2 c. beef broth
1 package onion soup mix
2 packages (12 oz. each) philly cheesesteak sirloin meat (I got mine from Walmart, Great Value brand and it came frozen), or the original recipe says you could use regular roast beef from the deli
1 green pepper, sliced
1 white onion, sliced
8 ounces of cream cheese, divided
6 ciabatta rolls
12 slices provolone cheese

In a large skillet bring beef broth and soup mix to a boil.  When broth is heating saut√© onion and pepper in another large skillet.  Add roast beef, reduce heat and simmer.  Cook each side of the steaks 3-4 minutes and then break meat apart with a spatula.  When meat is cooked through, drain.  Add meat to the vegetables, along with 4 ounces of the cream cheese.  Slice rolls in half and spread remaining cream cheese on the insides of the buns.  When the cream cheese in the skillet is melted, put a generous amount of meat on each sandwich, topping the meat with two slices of cheese per sandwich.  Broil in the oven for about a minute until the tops of the bread are lightly toasted and the cheese is melted.

No comments: