Monday, May 20, 2013

Recipe - Slow Cooker Cinnamon Sugar Almonds

A friend of mine has started hosting Pinterest Pig Outs, which is basically a party where women get together to sample new recipes they try from Pinterest.  I love to party anytime, but this kind of party is definitely up my alley.  I made cinnamon sugar almonds for the evening.  I love the candied almonds at the mall during the holidays, but don't love their sticker price, so I was excited when I saw this recipe on Pinterest.  It was very easy to prepare.  The first day I thought they tasted okay.  Everyone at the party was more impressed with them than I was.  The second day I thought they tasted awesome.  I think they need a little time after cooking to properly dry out.  By then, I thought they were just as good as the candied almonds at the mall.

Slow Cooker Cinnamon Sugar Almonds

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoons salt
1 egg white
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups almonds
1/4 C. water

Mix together in a large bowl sugars, cinnamon, and salt.  In another bowl with a whisk, mix together the egg white and vanilla until it is frothy.  Add the almonds and coat thoroughly.  This will help the mixture stick to the almonds during the cooking process.    I used a 4 quart slow cooker.  Add the cinnamon almond mixture to the almonds and turn it to low.  Stir until the cinnamon sugar mixture is coated well on the almonds. Cook for 3-4 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.  In the very last hour, add 1/4 cup water and stir well.  This will ensure a crunchy coating and help the mixture to harden.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the almonds onto the sheet to cool.  The almonds should be sticky.  Spread them out and separate them the best that you can.  Let cool and enjoy.

1 comment:

Lena said...

Yum. I would never think of doing them in a slow cooker. Sounds delicious!