Thursday, May 30, 2013

Palmer's Primary Talk

Palmer gave his first talk in Primary last Sunday.  I had what I thought was a great idea to have him give a talk on the creation and draw pictures to show of what Jesus created on each day.  He often makes reference to the creation of the earth and everything on it and loves to color, so I thought the talk would be a win.  I pitched the idea to him; he was not impressed.  We then decided to do a talk on the Word of Wisdom and what is healthy for a person's body, another of his interests lately.  I suggested he draw pictures of the healthy food he would mention in his talk.  Once again, he said no.  Odd.  But we went with what he wanted to do and that was give a talk, plain and simple.  He helped me write it and this is what we came up with.

"God gave me my body and he wants me to take good care of it.  He told us how to keep our bodies healthy in The Word of Wisdom.  The Word of Wisdom tells us to eat healthy foods.  Healthy foods I like to eat are: cherries, oranges, blueberries, strawberries, carrots and bread.  Heavenly Father also wants us to exercise.  I exercise a lot.  I like to run and do cartwheels.  The Word of Wisdom also says we should get a lot of sleep.  When it is bedtime I try to get ready for bed quickly.  I brush my teeth, put on comfy pajamas and get in bed.  These things help me to sleep good every night.  I want to keep my body healthy so that I can live a long happy life.  I am thankful Heavenly Father gave me my body.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

On Sunday he gave his talk well, and even remembered parts of it on his own without prompting from me.  He was very excited and happy about the experience.  I think mostly because he liked talking into the microphone and being the center of attention.

1 comment:

Rie Pie said...

I love Palmer so much. He is such a great kid! It's adorable that he picked the talk and shared how he lives the word of wisdom. <3