Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Just Call me MacGyver

Who can break into a house using only a gift bag?  This girl, that's who!

Greg and I learned to break into a house using a credit card when we were subbing as apartment supervisors during our first year of marriage.  The skill has turned out to be a very helpful one.  We have broken into our house, neighbors' houses and into locked rooms in our home many times with this useful trick.

Last week, during the rush of getting all four kids and needed supplies into the van, I accidentally locked little Avonlea, as well as my wallet and all my credit cards inside the house.  I frantically checked all our doors in a hope that I would luck out and one would be open.  Nope.  So then I frantically checked the van for some type of card I could use to break in.  The only tool I could find was a gift bag.  With a desperate prayer I set to work on our front door with the gift bag in hand.  Within a minute, the door popped open and thankfully I was able to get my baby girl out.

Now before you all start getting worried about how unsafe my home is, the only reason I was able to break in was because the house was not deadbolted.  Which is always the case when we leave if we have our keys on us to do so.  Being able to break in so easily just goes to show how important it is to always deadbolt your door.  As for the locks, they are in great working condition.  In fact they were all replaced just months ago.

So, the fact that I was able to break into my home using only a gift bag is not due to an unsafe environment or faulty locks.  It is simply because my burglary skills are that good!  And as a side note - the gift bag is still usable.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

You go girl!! :)

Barbara said...

This is the very reason I always deadbolt my doors when I leave the house