Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sariah's Back Sugery

My sister Sariah had spinal surgery last Monday.  She has been having some serious medical issues due to herniated discs in her back.  Last month's MRI revealed that she now has six herniated discs in her lower spine and three bulging discs in her middle spine. Recently, severe nerve damage from her herniated discs(paralysis of her left leg and left arm) made it so she could no longer work, or do much else.  After a lot of tests and a lot of effort and working around her insurance, she was able to see a good spinal surgeon who immediately set up a surgery date to shave her herniated discs, which will relieve a lot of her pain and hopefully give her nerves a chance to heal.

The surgery went well.  She is in a lot of pain and pretty much bedridden at this point.  She is on some heavy medication and spends most of the day sleeping as a result.  Her predicted recovery time is eight to ten weeks.  Right now, she is staying with my dad and his wife (who is home all day and a registered nurse).  They have no stairs and a walk-in shower, so the set up works well for Sariah's recovery.  She should be coming home with us soon when she can get around a little better.

For our past Family Home Evening, Greg and I helped the boys make Sariah some paper flowers and put them in a vase with jelly beans as a get well wish to brighten her day.  The students from my special ed class did the same thing for me when my mother passed away.  It was my favorite flower arrangement at my mother's funeral.  Sariah, likewise, enjoyed the colorful bouquet.

We are so glad that Sariah was finally able to get some action taken in regards to the medical problems that have been plaguing her for the past two years.  And we wish her a very speedy recovery!

1 comment:

Rie Pie said...

Thank you so much! Not just for the adorable flowers and candy, but for everything. You are such an amazing person. I am so blessed to have your constant support in my life. I don't know how I'd get through this with out you, and my sisterhood. :) I love you. I love your family.