Monday, May 7, 2012

Recipes - Salsa Chicken in the Slow Cooker and Lime Cilantro Rice with Pineapple

My committee and I put together a Relief Society Service Auction Thursday, May 3.  We titled the activity, "Reveal Your Hidden Treasure," and it was pirate themed.  So we had treasure chest centerpieces, a cutout of Captain Jack Sparrow, an auctioneer dressed up as a pirate qho told pirate jokes and other cute pirate decorations.  I donated homemade cards, scrapbooking supplies, a four week aerobics pass to the local fitness center and a homemade specialty cake to be made in the future.  I actually had prepared one of my favorite cakes, chocolate caramel praline torte, for the occasion, but due to a hard slam of the refrigerator door, and a ketchup bottle sticking out of the side of that said door, the cake was demolished 10 minutes before I left for the activity to set up.  I did win some awesome services that night: an eyebrow wax, babysitting and a super cute handmade pea pod necklace (complete with four peas for our soon to be four children).

I was in charge of the food for the evening and made (with my neighbor's help with the rice and salad) salsa chicken burritos, cilantro lime rice with pineapple, salad and lemon bars.  It was a yummy meal.  The salsa chicken is a recipe I got off my friend Adrienne's blog, which has become a regular favorite at our home.  The cilantro lime rice with pineapple is from my favorite food blog http://www.ourbestbites.com/.  Hope you all enjoy the recipes as much as my family does and the Relief Society did last Thursday.

Salsa Chicken in the Slow Cooker

3 chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 bag frozen white corn
1 can black beans
1 cup salsa
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, and cook throughout the day. Before serving, shred chicken. Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese, in flour tortillas for great burritos.
Lime Cilantro Rice with Pineapple

1 cup dry white rice, cooked in 2 cups water
2 tablespoons real butter
Juice from 1 large lime, or two smaller ones (taste as you go, I like a lot of lime)
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook rice. As soon as it’s done, toss in the butter and stir to melt. Add lime juice, pineapple, and cilantro. Stir to combine, and then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Yay, love this! Thinking of you and your soon-to-be-four kids often!