Monday, April 16, 2012

Family Portrait by Sariah

This was hanging on our refrigerator after we returned from our last date night. The artwork is by my sister Sariah, who made such a masterpiece while coloring alongside the boys as she babysat them. I think it's pretty cute; and I especially love the addition of the boys' favorite stuffed animals that they bring with them almost everywhere we go. Sariah is the best babysitter! And not because she's a built in babysitter (which I have to admit is nice), but because our boys love spending time with her. Brody often cries for babysitters when we leave, even if he knows them well and enjoys being with them. When we leave him with Sariah, he happily waves to us out the window or door until we are out of sight. She really plays with Palmer and Brody when she watches them. She gives them little presents (like last weeks harmonicas) and does arts and crafts with them (so far this has included sidewalk chalk, coloring, and personalized door hangers).

When we are out and about, Palmer often tells total strangers about his family, and since Sariah has moved in with us, he is always sure to include Auntie Rie. A couple days ago, he was talking about our family while we were driving in the car. He said in our family he had, "a Brody, babies, a daddy and two mommies." Greg and I corrected him a couple times, saying he only had one mommy. Finally I asked, "Who do you think your other mommy is?" He replied matter-of-factly, "Auntie Rie." Looks like Sariah forgot a member in our family portrait.

2 comments:

Rie Pie said...

This is so sweet!! I love you Hesses! I feel blessed every day that I'm here. Seriously, I'm the luckiest gal in the world to be apart of this family.

*Marie* said...

Although Palmer is having some confusion, it's probably more about title than anything else, right? And, it may not be a bad thing to have two "mommies" in the house when there are two newborns, plus two older boys!