Monday, March 12, 2012

Bunk Beds, Auntie Rie Moves In, 72 Cupcakes, Tucanos & X-rays

It was an eventful weekend in the Hess home.

The boys finally got to try out their new bunk beds. They are happily snuggled up in the same room sleeping the night away. Well, they're actually not sleeping too well quite yet. The excitement is still quite fresh. They spend a good part of the night talking, giggling, playing with the toys in their room and running amok. The first night we had the monitor on and were listening in on their fun. At first they were whispering about Kool-Aid. So sweet! A couple hours later they were squealing and jumping in the beds. Not as sweet, but we take the good with the bad.

My sister Sariah moved in. She will be staying with us for the next six months or so. We are still in the process of unpacking all her boxes, and setting everything up for her. The boys especially, are thrilled with our new roommate.

In between setting up the boys' room, and getting Sariah settled, I made cupcakes for a Primary activity. I made peanut butter cupcakes with milk chocolate buttercream frosting and topped the cakes with a Reeses Peanut Butter cup. I was asked to make 24, so decided to double the regular batch in case any cupcake didn't come out right, or if the batter didn't stretch far enough. The first batch, I was doing too many things at once, and accidentally turned OFF the oven when I set the timer. I didn't realize my mistake until 20 minutes later after the batter had been sitting in a warm but not hot oven. Needless to say, they didn't rise well. So into the garbage they went. I then made two more batches for a grand total of 72 cupcakes in one day!

Saturday evening, Greg's dad came into town and treated us, and his sisters and their spouses to dinner at Tucanos. Yum! He brought his new girlfriend along for the trip and we were all able to meet her. She is very nice, and we all enjoyed ourselves.

While we were at dinner our babysitter accidentally stepped on Brody's hand. Since Sariah was home at the time, trying to unpack, Brody went to her for comfort and stayed with her the rest of the evening until we returned home. When we came home, it was obvious he was injured. He wouldn't move his hand, and hardly would move his arm. He has Nursemaid's elbow, meaning his comes out of socket often, and we thought at first that was what had happened, but he kept insisting that it was his hand that hurt and cried anytime we touched his hand. So, we took him to the instacare. The doctor also thought it was his hand or wrist, and ordered some x-rays, three to be exact, bringing Brody's x-ray total to 34 during his two and a half years of life. A couple hours later, after clean x-rays, the doctor decided it must be his elbow. She yanked it back into place, and he was all better. We were upset with ourselves because we know how to pop it back into place, and could have saved him hours of pain. It seems we learn something new every time it dislocates. Now we know that toddlers will often not be able to localize the pain. The doctor, just as every doctor in the past, assured us he will eventually grow out of his nursemaid's elbow. I hope it happens soon. We all got to bed very late and lost an hour of sleep due to Daylight Savings.

It was one of those super-busy-exhausting-weekends that make you thankful for the regular day-to-day work week to begin again.


Crystal said...

You guys sound so busy! Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him. Glad nothing was wrong with his hand.

Rie Pie said...

This was such a busy weekend!! I am so grateful to be your family's roomy!! Your boys are adorable and I love being around them...and the door next to their room. :)

London said...

Poor lil Brody. You are amazing with all that you accomplish.