Friday, January 27, 2012

Answers to Prayers

Greg had a six day business trip a couple weeks ago. I never like it when he is gone, but this last time was especially hard, since I've been so sick with this pregnancy. He called me the day before he was scheduled to come home to inform me that the trip was being extended and he would be yet another day. I actually started crying when he told me the news. I was so tired, worn out and sick, and so ready for him to come home and give me a break. He's a great a husband, a great father, and a great help, and I wanted all that back in our day to day lives. He felt really bad and suggested I hire a babysitter so I could go out and have fun. I responded that I didn't want to go out, I was sick and I just wanted to hole up in my room and sleep while not having to worry about the kids.

Later that evening my sister London called me. I of course told her of my disappointment about Greg being delayed. She responded quickly by offering to pick up Palmer the next day after our shift at work, so that I could rest while Brody napped in the afternoon. I assured her that wasn't needed, because I'm stubborn like that and don't always accept help well. She insisted it was no big deal and said she'd be by to get Palmer in the afternoon. As I hung up the phone I realized my silly little prayer had not only been heard, but answered. My sister offered me exactly what I was wanting without me having to ask. This quote came to my mind, "In the end the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance." - Deiter F. Uchdorf.

My sisters are often answers to my prayers. And I have many kind friends and other family members also who are always willing to come to my aid. Just today a good friend offered to watch my boys while I ran errands because she knew I wasn't feeling well (another prayer answered). My mother was such a giving soul, and I've strived to emulate her generosity my entire life. I pray frequently to be a service unto others. I hope that I am, because I know that I surely am watched over.

When I am pregnant, I do not feel like myself. I am not energetic; I am tired. I do not have the same drive to clean, and cook and play with my children. Many days, I just want to lie on the couch and groan. I don't feel like myself and I don't like it. I've also recently realized that I do not serve as much when I am pregnant. I feel overwhelmed just making it through the day, and I don't reach outside of myself because of that. I have realized that this must change, and I am now going to try even harder to be an answer to others' prayers. I know that I will feel better when I am not so focused on myself.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

My sweet friend, I love you so much. I am so thankful to see your love for your sisters. I love your desire to serve and go beyond yourself. I just want you to also remember that to everything there is a season. Being a mother of 3 (13, 10 1/2 & 8 tomorrow) I can tell you that it is OK to just get through the day. We should all do our best, but also realize that the Lord knows your heart and your situation. Love you!

Crystal said...

Seriously I know how you feel. It sucks being Prego. Please, for all the love, I live so close call me any time you need a hand. I would expect nothing in return. The kids would love to have the boys over to play! Short notice is just fine. Congrats again!