Monday, November 7, 2011

Recipe - Trudy's Chili

This recipe comes from Trudy, a special education teacher I worked with. Trudy ate this chili for lunch almost daily during the fall and winter months. And once I tried it, I knew why she ate it so often. I would never think olives would be appetizing in chili, but after my first taste, I was hooked. It is delicious! I made it for a couple chili cookoffs last month, and it tied for first place at one of them.

Trudy's Chili

1 pound Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 large can stewed tomatoes
2 cans black beans
1 can white pinto beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can olives
1 small can green chilies
1-2 teaspoons chili powder (depending on how spicey you like it)

Brown sausage and onion and drain. Add tomatoes. Drain juices off all beans and olives and add them to the pot. Add green chilies and chili powder to your liking. Let all ingredients simmer together for 20-25 minutes.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Never would have thought of using sausage!! That sounds so good...Yum! And olives. I actually like olives, so that sounds interesting to add those in there as well. I'll have to try this one out!!

HopefulLeigh said...

Green olives or black olives?