Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wasp Stings

Tonight Palmer and Brody received matching wasp stings, each just below their left eye. I happened to be right with them when it happened. I was pushing them on the swings on our swing set. We've had issues with neighbor kids getting stung by wasps in our backyard (three kids in fact, yikes!). Each time we went on a search to locate their nest. We chopped down a tree that seemed to attract the wasps, with no luck of finding a nest. Greg found a small nest in a pile of deadwood he'd made from pulling out overgrown bushes, and we figured that was it. Tonight, since I witnessed the stings and the culprits return to their home, I was able to finally discover that blasted nest, and the cause of all our wasp sting woes. The nest was in the swing set, go figure. In some of the padding next to the trampoline, and it was a HUGE nest. So hopefully, *crossing fingers* we won't have anymore wasps hurting our kids or their buddies.
Here is a picture of Palmer and Brody this evening, swollen eyed, cuddling on the couch with Mom, watching Dora the Explorer, eating chocolate, and milking their injuries. I'm always good for a whole lot of comfort when our kids are sick or injured. It's what moms are for, right?

4 comments:

Lynette said...

We've had wasp issues, too, and SOMEHOW we managed to have no injuries! I'm so sorry they (and their friends) got stung. Wasp stings HURT like the dickens, so I can only imagine how your little guys felt. :( Wasps are NOT nice when they sting. We had a nest in our outside garbage can lid. You couldn't see the nest at all. Every time I went to open the lid to throw something in there, several wasps would come flying out at me. Freaked me out! We finally found the nest, knocked it out and I haven't had a problem since.

Crystal said...

That is crazy that they both got stung in the same spot! Maybe wasps are smarter than I give them credit! I'm glad you found out where their home is so you can be rid of them.

sweet nectar sara said...

we've had the same issues. wasps love the swing set and the redwood deck, and the window sills and the eaves...
i finally just caved and paid a pest control company to spray at the beginning of summer and it helped a ton.
glad they're smiling through it :)

Parish & Becca said...

Oh man, I know this post is way old, and I'm just now reading it :) Your poor boys!! That would freak me out if that happened! We had wasps making nests in our basketball hoop and swing set. My husband got a can of that spray foam at Lowe's and just filled in all the openings, and we haven't seen any since! Bugs and such is the one major downfall to warm weather huh?