Thursday, June 23, 2011

Recipe - Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

This recipe comes from my sister London. She is the queen of cakes, especially cupcakes. She stands by the motto that the actual cake doesn't need to be made from scratch to be good, but the frosting definitely does. And our family is a big, big fan of buttercream frosting. For our last Relief Society meeting I topped white cupcakes with this delicious strawberry buttercream frosting. The boys and I even ate the frosting plain, by piping it straight onto our fingers from the icing bag, after I finished frosting the cupcakes; it is that good.

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

1 cup butter, softened
1 (32 oz.) package powdered sugar
1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 20 seconds). Add sugar and strawberries; beat at low speed until creamy. Add more sugar if frosting is too thin, or add more strawberries if too thick.

6 comments:

The Hendricks Family said...

Those look so yummy!! I am definitely going to try!

Lynette said...

I didn't know you could make a frosting without milk!! I'm having a hard time imagining this frosting as being too thin... :) :)

London said...

Lynette, it's the juice from the strawberries... no milk needed.

*Marie* said...

Hi Lera, I made this today. It tasted wonderful! However, it was runny and didn't thick up like frosting. Any suggestions on what I did wrong? Thanks, Marie

Lera said...

Marie - the strawberries could have been extra juicy. If it happens again, just add powdered sugar until it reaches the correct texture.

*Marie* said...

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I will make it for the cupcakes I make this weekend, so I'll try it.