Friday, May 27, 2011

Recipe - Chocolate Caramel Bars

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. These. are. so. good. I made these delectable treats for the first time this week to go along with a meal I made for a family in the ward who is having a hard time. I made one of our favorite meals: cranberry apple pork roast with baked sweet potatoes. However, these chocolate caramel bars where the best part of the dinner. They are soft, chewy, melt in your mouth, super sweet. Enjoy!

Chocolate Caramel Bars

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) bag caramels
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 (12 oz.) package milk chocolate chips

In a large bowl combine first 6 ingredients to form a crumbly mixture. Unwrap caramel (let kids help, Palmer loved this step!). Melt caramels and whipping cream in a saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle half of crumbly mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Press to pan lightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked mixture and top with melted caramel mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Make a day ahead or several hours ahead to allow time for caramel to set.

4 comments:

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and Audrey... said...

Oh my! Those do look yummy!

*Marie* said...

I can't wait to try these. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Dang, Gina! said...

Question for you...on the whipping cream, it just says 1/2 whipping cream. What size is it? I'm planning at some point (soon) to make these because they look delicious!

Lera said...

Sorry Gina about the typo. I went back and corrected it. It's 1/2 cup of whipping cream.