Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Help

I read the best book, and I have to share! My ward's book group just finished reading and discussing The Help by Kathryn Stockett. In a word, this book is phenomenal. It is so well written, has such wonderful well-rounded characters, and grabs your instantly. I stayed up until 2:00 am twice when reading this book because I could not put it down. It's about three women who live in Mississippi in the 1960s: two black maids, and a young white aspiring female writer. It may just be my new favorite book... I'm still processing it. Also, I'm having difficulty giving up my long running absolute favorite book Cry, the Beloved Country. But if I'm being honest, The Help was such an amazing read that, in my book, it has at least earned it's place side by side with Alan Paton's classic.

My sister called me today to discuss the novel, as she had just completed it. I was worried I had over hyped it for her and that she would be disappointed, but she loved it as well. She also said, "It might be my new favorite book." Funny how alike we are in our stubbornness to give up our longtime favorites.

2 comments:

It's Just me...Crazy "T" said...

your little family is so adorable.. I love the tea party pictures!

Linnae said...

I got the book today and am looking forward to reading it. I purchased it for Mother's Day gifts as well. Thanks for the review!