Thursday, April 7, 2011

Conference Weekend

The older I get, the more I appreciate and love General Conference. Ironically, the older I get, the more difficult I find my circumstances to actually be able to watch and pay attention to conference.

We outright missed all of Saturday's conference. Greg had worked a whopping 23 1/2 hour work shift the day before and was very much still recovering. Greg was on call Saturday and had to wake early to work from home. He very sweetly said I could sleep in since he had to be up anyway. During the time Greg was working, Palmer was extremely busy making a huge mess! When Greg was finally able to crash into bed, and I awoke to take over with the children I found: permanent marker all over our refrigerator, and most items inside our refrigerator, an inch of water covering half our kitchen floor, a bowl of Fruity Cheerios and milk dumped on the carpet in our office as well as glitter dumped on the carpet and throughout the drawers of my scrapbooking supplies. It took a very long time to clean everything up. (F.Y.I. - gasoline and a magic eraser is about the only thing that will take permanent marker of a refrigerator.) Greg was still on call and exhausted Saturday evening, so was unable to make it to the priesthood session.

Sunday morning conference I was a bit more prepared. The boys painted, to their utter delight and Greg and I did our best to catch what we could. When President Monson spoke I told Palmer, "That is President Monson. He is the prophet and he speaks for Heavenly Father." Palmer excitedly replied, "I know Heavenly Father too!" His comment warmed my heart. Seems like we must be doing something right in our often desperate parenting.

Sunday afternoon the boys went down for their naps, so we were able to really soak in the messages. And how lovely those messages were! They seemed as they were prepared just for us. For sure, our prophet and apostles are called of God. And what a mindful Heavenly Father we have. He knows our struggles, our trials and our needs, and finds ways to send us comfort and answers to those hardships during the 1/5 of General Conference that we are able to pay attention to, a tender mercy indeed. I do look forward to reading the talks that I missed, but take joy in the small portion that I was able to hear.

2 comments:

*Marie* said...

My feelings towards conference reflect yours. I thoroughly enjoyed what I was able to watch, and look forward to soaking up the rest.

Lisa said...

I love you Lera! Despite all the hardships that the weekend brought you, I love that you were able to focus on the positive and appreciate the blessings that we all share. You are doing an amazing job as a mom and although times are very difficult for you, this too shall pass.
Love ya lots