Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe - Fugi Apple Poppy Seed Salad

My friend Betsy had us over for dinner on Saint Patricks Day. I make her and her boys dinner every so often in attempts to ease her burden since her husband is currently serving in Iraq, and I can't imagine how she does everything on her own with him gone. She said she wanted to thank me by having us over for a traditional meal of corned beef and cabbage. When I showed up she, her boys, and the other family joining us were decked out all in green and festive shamrocks. Palmer, Brody and I were party poops; I hadn't remembered it was Saint Patricks Day until after I had gotten all of us dressed for the day, and of course, all our ensembles were lacking the color green. I have been running on empty lately with Greg being gone so much of the time working graveyards (his assigned month of this awful shift has currently been extended *sigh*), and didn't have it in me to get everyone dressed again. So I slapped a shamrock sticker on each of the boys' shirts and just planned to get pinched myself. Brody's sticker didn't even make it through the first half hour of the day. However, I did bring this delish GREEN salad to the meal, so that counts for something right?

Fugi Apple Poppy Seed Salad

1 packaged bag fresh baby spinach
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fugi apples
real bacon bits, to taste
slivered almonds, to taste
craisens, to taste
shredded parmesan cheese, to taste
poppy seed dressing

Toss all ingredients, except dressing, together in a large bowl. Serve with poppyseed dressing.

No comments: