Monday, March 14, 2011

Mi Cocina

We painted our kitchen even before we officially bought our home. The kitchen is the heart of the home, and so I thought it was the perfect room to start making our home ours. I love to have lots of color in a home, and this room is surely our most colorful! We used a picture a convert from Greg's mission painted for him as our inspiration and as a focal point for the room. I did a faux finish on the walls with a chocolate glaze, a paint brush and a lot of elbow grease. It took such a very long time, but I think the results paid off. We removed all the cupboards and painted them avocado green, and also added brown baseboard. The hand painted bowls (which serve as our dining room centerpiece) are from Greg's mom Nancy, from a Mexican cruise she went on. I sewed the curtains over the sink a couple years ago with help from one of my mom's best friends, Joanie. And just a couple months ago, I finally finished my plans for the room by reupholstering the dining room chairs. When entertaining, I enjoy serving fun, colorful, Latin American meals to compliment my fun, colorful, Latin American kitchen. Even our plates and bowls are a complimentary bright orange and green.

2 comments:

claire said...

What a beautiful room, you did an awesome job. I bet that it is a fun room to spend a lot of your time. As mom's the kitchen is where we spend most of our time so it is necessary to enjoy it. Way to go.

Lisa said...

I absolutely love it! The kitchen is the heart of the home, I love your kitchen and I love going to parties at your home. I am feeling a little bit of pain as to not be getting a different cake every month as well, wink wink.
I love the Latin flare. We just purchased new colorful plates yesterday. We could eat Latin food every day. Salsa is a stable at our house. The kitchen looks great!