Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vegas, Baby!

I am freezing! In fact, I have been freezing since 8:00 last night, when Greg and I returned from our weekend getaway in Las Vegas. I've never been a great fan of Vegas, but I have to admit, it was a fabulous trip! The weather (warm with a cool breeze), the price (practically free thanks to Greg's company), the absence of children (Aunt London, Grandma Nancy, Aunt Sariah and Pappy and Grandma Betty each generously took a turn watching Palmer and Brody)... fabulous.

Greg was scheduled to go on a business trip to Las Vegas the weekend of our anniversary, so I decided to crash the party and tag along. We went sight seeing, shopped, dined and relaxed from Friday evening to Monday morning. Greg only needed to work through a couple nights, so we really had all day to vacation together. I had brought a lot of projects to work on during the times Greg would be gone, but since I had an awful head cold, I just crashed on the bed and watched television whenever he went to work at night. And instead of waking up early to workout while he slept in, I slept in too. In a way, I suppose my illness forced me to work in some R & R during our vacation.

My favorite thing we did this weekend was see Blue Man Group. It was the most fun and creative show I have ever been to. I loved every minute of it! What made the show even nicer was that we got the tickets for $10 a piece thanks to a time share demonstration.

Other notable activities from the weekend include: a gondola ride outside The Venetian, a fancy world buffet at Wynn, a random stranger on the street approached us to sell us crack (for real!? Do we look like the type of people who would want to buy crack? He even offered us a sample before purchasing; how kind of him. <--- that was sarcastic if you couldn't tell) touring the M&M factory, watching the Bellagio fountain show and eating at The Grand Lux Cafe.

(from left to right - Greg and The Rock (or possibly a wax version of him), Bellagio fountains, delectable gelato, me at the M&M Factory, me hugging a palm tree, Bellagio gardens, Greg and me on a gondola ride, us with a Blue Man)

It was such an amazing getaway! We haven't been on a real vacation since our honeymoon six years ago in Sun Valley, Idaho. We've occasionally done nearby nights at a hotel for our anniversary, or traveled to Nevada to visit family for a few days, but nothing like this. At the timeshare demonstration, the saleswomen showed us picture after picture of amazing places around the world. I could not help but yearn to visit such exotic destinations. She asked us if we viewed traveling as a necessity or a luxury. We obviously said a luxury. As Greg and I drove home we talked about saving for a vacation later in the year or even next year. Then we came home to a furnace that doesn't work, windows that need to be replaced, a refrigerator that is older than me, our car that isn't driving well, and a lot of bills that need to be paid. Although I would like to have traveling to be a necessity in our lives, it just can't be at this time. And honestly, that is okay. We are good; we are provided for and happy as a family, at home. Of course, it would be nice to travel the world and maybe one day in the future it will be a possibility. Until then I'll continue to dream of touring Europe, a Caribbean cruise, Disneyland, and New York, and take advantage of any free trips that come our way.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

YAY for you!!! I am so glad you got to go and TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. We got a bid for replacing three downstairs windows the other day - WITH a lot of discounts they wanted $3k. To do the whole house would have cost more than our last car.

It look like such a fun trip. We saw the Blue Man Group in Chicago - also on a work + spouse trip - and loved it. It was years ago and Adam still talks about it.

sweet nectar sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sweet nectar sara said...

looks like you had a well-deserved fun time!

Vegas isn't too bad if you plan and do activities, we saw celine dion a few years back and it was awesome.

my random-stranger-experience in vegas was a man on the escalator who told me i had nice toes...
:)

Annie-Staten said...

Ahhh, that is so great that you guys were able to have a vacation for just you two! So jealous! Sounds like you had so much fun!

Tiffany said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time! :)