Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Recipes - Peanut Butter Brownie Bites, Cookie Dough Truffles and London's Caramels

I made a couple big candy treat trays for Greg and my work last week and thought I'd share the recipes. Two of the treats I made were actually demonstrated at our ward's Super Saturday last month: Peanut Butter Brownie Bites (I substituted white chocolate for the chocolate coating on these) and Cookie Dough Truffles. I also spent an afternoon with my sister London making caramels. This was my first time making these melt-in-your-mouth delicious candies. I now know why my sister doesn't make them too often. They take hours and hours... but I must admit, the moment that chewy goodness hits my mouth, it's all worth it. I have yet to try a caramel that is as scrumptious as London's.

London's Caramels

2 sticks butter
4 cups sugar
2cups light corn syrup
2 cans evaporated milk

Over medium heat, melt butter. Add sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil. Very slowly add milk, keeping mixture at a boil. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches soft ball stage, 235 degrees (takes 1-2 hours). Immediately pour into a well creased pan. Allow caramels to cool completely. Cut into squares and wrap in wax paper.

No comments: