Thursday, December 16, 2010

Big Blonde Moment

Admittedly, I am a ditsy blonde. I'm not stupid. I think of myself as fairly intelligent, but honestly, I do tend to embrace the stereotypical blonde from time to time.

One particular instance occurred recently, Thanksgiving morning. I was out early (just having attended Lyndee's Zumba class, which was fabulous fun) and stopped to gas my van and pick up a paper for Black Friday shopping. I purchased my paper and prepaid for exactly $8.00 of gasoline (just enough to make it through our shopping excursion, saving as much of my cash as possible for the shopping itself). I then called my sister while walking to the van to see if she wanted me to get her a paper; they were going fast. She told me to pick up an extra one since she was sure one of our bargain hunting buddies would want it. I went back in the store and did so. I then got in my vehicle and drove out of the gas station's parking lot while still talking on the phone. As I was entering the main street I glanced at my gas gage to see it still on empty. Whoops, I forgot to gas up. I glanced in my rear view mirror to see that every pump was empty except the one I had prepaid on, where a man was already pumping gas into his vehicle. I exclaimed to London that someone was using my gas and I had to go.

I drove up to the gas pump just across from the man and got out. I noticed him looking at the gas tank with a very perplexed look on his face. The following awkward conversation proceeded.

Me: "Did the gas stop when it reached $8.00?"
Him in a confused voice: "Yeah."
Me: "That's because I prepaid at that pump and then drove off, like an idiot."
Him: "Oh."
(We stare at each other for a minute or so, very awkwardly. Me, waiting for him to offer to repay me, because it was my gasoline, but not asking because it was my fault that I didn't get it. I rationalized to myself that it was only $8.00, but at the same time, I purposefully only put in that much because I wanted to save my money.)
Me: "Well, I guess... (another long pause)... Happy Thanksgiving."
Him: "I can pay you for it." He then proceeded to give me a ten dollar bill and I thanked him and gave him back two ones.

I recounted the story to my family at Thanksgiving dinner. They then told our shopping companions the next day. Everyone found my flounder quite amusing and for several days after, the "Happy Thanksgiving" quip was used by all whenever they caught themselves doing anything slightly stupid.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

That made me laugh so hard!!! You are so funny!! I could totally see myself doing that though.