Sunday, September 19, 2010

Recipe - Chocolate Coconut No Bake Cookies

Last year, when I was called to be a Relief Society teacher I decided I wanted to bring a homemade treat for the sisters with each lesson I taught. The motive was a bit selfish; I felt that it took some of the pressure off of me. Even if I bombed the lesson, I knew the sisters would appreciate me teaching since I brought something good to eat. It took one lesson for Greg, who teaches Elders Quorum, to remark that he wished he too had goodies for his lessons. So, I agreed to make treats for his lessons as well. I only teach Relief Society every other month, meaning just six times a year, and half of those have been scheduled on a fast Sunday. Greg teaches every month, and always on the third Sunday. So, the Elders have received far more of my treats than the sisters. These yummy cookies are what I made for Elders Quorum this Sunday (as a bonus they were a nice quick fix since I didn't remember to make Greg's treat until 10:00 last night).

Chocolate Coconut No Bake Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup coconut

In large sauce pan melt butter. Stir in milk. Stir in sugar, cocoa and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add peanut butter, chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir until melted. Stir in oats and coconut, Drop by teasoons onto wax paper. Let stand about an hour, until set.

3 comments:

Annie-Staten said...

I will have to try your version sometime! My family version is:
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
2 Tbl cocoa
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 c. quick oats.
Bring to boil sugar, milk, butter and cocoa. Boil 1 minute, then remove from burner and add pb & oats. Done!

Rie Pie said...

Yay!! I can comment on your blog again!!! I will have to bring over my laptop for Greg to look at. :)

*Marie* said...

This is a great recipe! I made these cookies the other night to take to a family party, and they were a huge hit. TFS this recipe- and all the others you share. I am building my own recipe book one successful recipe at a time, and yours are the majority of what's in there.