Monday, August 16, 2010

Recipe - Chinese Lemon Chicken

I made this dish for the first time when taking in a meal for my sister's family after her husband had surgery. He is allergic to gluten and it was the only meal on my bi-weekly menu that was wheat-free. I was a bit weary to take a meal I had not beforehand been able to cook and sample, but thankfully it turned out to be a keeper. Greg especially loved it and declared that it was better than Panda Express, which is a pretty big compliment in his eyes.

Chinese Lemon Chicken

5 pounds boneless chicken breasts
5 tablespoons soy sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Chicken broth
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt

Marinated chicken in soy sauce and salt. Combine eggs, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and baking powder to make a batter; dip chicken into batter and deep fry. In a saucepan, combine the chicken broth, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and cornstarch; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened and clear. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'll have to try that recipe out! It's been hard trying to alter our dinner meals to be gluten free. Thanks for the recipe! :)

*Marie* said...

It looks wonderful!

The King's said...

This looks delish! I may just have to actually cook it (I hate cooking but will for a good chicken dish)