Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A New Love & Recipe - Homemade Bread in One Hour

I have wanted a mixer for about a year now. I originally thought I would get it for Christmas. Of course, with Greg's lay off, that wasn't an option. So when my birthday finally rolled around last month I was making sure to hint to Greg almost daily about my need for a mixer. About a week before my birthday, my good buddy Tennisa called me and offered me her old mixer since she was upgrading to a Bosch. She warned me that it was very old, and not too cute to look at, but that nonetheless it worked perfectly. I told her I would be thrilled to have it and that it would feel right at home next to our recently donated 25 year old refrigerator. Greg was likewise happy to have it as he no longer needed to buy me a $200 mixer for my birthday. So, meet Kitchenetics, the new love in my life!


Oh baby, this is one sweet machine! I hardly know how I survived so many years of baking without it. I make desserts quite often as it is, but since the Kitchenetics has entered my life, we have had an over abundance of cakes, cookies, dessert bars and breads. In fact, I've been giving away quite a bit of it because we can't possibly eat it all.

My dear friend also gave me the bread recipe she had been using with the mixer. This bread not only tastes fabulous, but you can make it, start to finish, in one hour! Isn't that amazing? I seriously could quit buying bread all together; it's that easy.

Homemade Bread in One Hour

5 1/4 cups white unbleached bread flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp. salt
1 1/2 rounded tbsp. Saf-instant yeast (store in freezer)
1 1/2 tbsp. liquid lecithin
2 cups hot tap water

Mix dry ingredients. Add lecithin (don't measure, squeeze or pour directly into the bowl - tablespoon is about the size of a quarter) and water. Mix for 1 minute and check consistency. If dough is too dry, add more water. If dough is too moist, add more flour. Mix for 5 minutes. (Do not add water or flour to dough after it has finished mixing) Spray counter and pans with Pam. Shape dough into loaves and cover with a dish towel. Let raise for 25 minutes and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. This recipe makes 2 loaves of bread.

Once done, immediately take out of pan and cool let cool.

For bread bowls - 4-6 per loaf
Rolls - 12 per loaf
Cinnamon rolls - roll out 1 loaf and spread with soft butter, sugar and cinnamon and roll up and cut like normal
Pizza - one per loaf - bake pizza at 400 degrees

To make wheat bread - change the flour to 3 cups whole wheat flour and 2 1/4 bread flour, change the water to 1 1/2 cups water and add 1/2 cup apple sauce. The rest of the recipe is the same.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

What a wonderful blessing. So glad you have a mixer. That is awesome. I am going to have to try this bread.
So happy for you. Now everyone get better. Love you

Brian_n_Amy said...

OH YUMMALICIOUS! Homemade bread is the BEST!!! I will definitely have to try your recipe! I love how you put your awesome recipes on your blog!

Jenn said...

I am about to try this and make bread bowls. I thought your bread was delicious when I ate part of your peanut butter sandwhich the other day! And you need to tell me what recipe you want from me again...I already forgot!