Friday, April 30, 2010

Recipe - Four Cheese Manicotti

Mmmm.... anything with four cheeses in it is good in my book. I made these a couple nights ago for dinner and they were a hit. After two other previous attempts, this time I finally figured out how to stuff them perfectly. I boiled the noodles a minute less than the package instructed so that they were still quite firm, and then I stuffed them with a baby spoon. I have tried the plastic bag with the corner cut, but since it was difficult to squeeze out the very thick cheese mixture, it would not get far enough in the noodle. I have also tried a regular spoon, but because it was so large and the metal was so hard, the manicotti often split. The baby spoon was strong enough and small enough to do the job perfectly. If you are lucky enough to own a pastry bag, I am sure that would work great as well.

Four Cheese Manicotti

8 oz. pkg. manicotti noodles
1 T. vegetable oil
15 oz. carton ricotta cheese
16 oz. carton cottage cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
1 t. salt
¼ t. pepper
1 T. chopped parsley
2 ½ c. spaghetti sauce

Boil manicotti according to package directions, adding oil so they don’t stick together. Drain and run cold water over it. In a large mixing bowl combine: ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley. Stuff each manicotti with cheese mixture. Place in greased baking pan. Pour spaghetti sauce on top. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.

No comments: