Sunday, December 20, 2009

This the Season for Potlucks

I feel as if I have lived in the kitchen these last couple weeks. Every few days there is either a potluck or some other reason for me to make a snack or treat to share. Here are some of the yummies I've been whipping up.

Chile and Cheese Spirals

These were for a potluck held during a craft night at the church. You can serve them alongside salsa, or they are great by themselves.

1 cup shredded cheese
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 can diced green chile peppers, drained
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 can diced black olives
4 (8 inch) flour tortillas

In medium bowl mix cheddar cheese, cream cheese, chiles, onion, and olives. Spread about a 1/2 cup of the mixture evenly on each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 1-4 hours. Before serving, cut off ends of rolls and discard. Cut rolls crosswise in 1 inch slices.

Chocolate Cookies with Mint Frosting


This is yet another variation of my tried and true cake mix cookies. I made 75 of these tasty treats for my Relief Society lesson. There were only 16 woman present... and they all went!

for cookies:
1 package chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup water
1 egg

Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into balls on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let cool before frosting.

for frosting:
6 tablespoons butter
1 pound powdered sugar (about 4 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup milk or cream
1 1/2 teaspoon mint extract

Cream butter, gradually add half the sugar and blend well. Beat in cream and vanilla and gradually add the rest of the sugar. Add cream if needed. Frosting is best a little thick.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

I made banana nut bread for our neighbor gifts this year, which meant we had tons of ripe bananas in the house. The perfect ingredient for these tasty cookies. They were my contribution for a cookie exchange this month with my paper craft swap group. I froze half the batch to bake later for Greg's priesthood lesson, and they came out as perfectly as they did when baked fresh.

1 well beaten egg
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 cups quick cooking rolled oats
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream egg, sugar, shortening, vanilla and bananas until light and fluffy. Stir in baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon until blended. Add flour, followed by oats and chocolate chips. Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for about 10 minutes.

I've also recently made funfetti cake mix cookies (potluck at work), 20 small loaves of banana bread (neighbor gifts), and of course, lemon bars (holiday party). This week we have some family get togethers to which I am bringing treats, so I'm sure I'll be adding a few more recipes to the mix here.

2 comments:

Brian_n_Amy said...

Ooooh! Looks so yummy! See, that's what I miss about being in Relief Society. You guys always have tons of goodies!

*Marie* said...

Just made the banana oatmeal choc chip cookies. Wow they are good! Thank you for sharing the recipe!