Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Recipe - Cheese Soup

One of the things I love most about the change of seasons, is the change in foods we eat. I love when spring and summer come along and we are chomping down hot dogs and hamburgers off the grill and enjoying crisp, refreshing salads. Now, I am excited for the debut of fall and winter as our home is filled with warm soups and breads. And from the looks of these pictures, I'm not the only one overjoyed by the emergence of this favorite comfort food.

This is one of the soups I make fairly often during the cold winter months. I made it this past weekend for Brody's blessing luncheon and received some very good reviews.

Cheese Soup

1 c. butter
1 c. flour
2 cans chicken broth
2 c. milk
2 t. salt
1 cube Velveeta cheese
5 carrots, sliced
5 stalks of celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c. water
5 oz. frozen peas (1/2 a small package)

Place carrots, celery and onion in 1 c. water. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add chicken broth and milk and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue stirring until thickened, about two minutes. Remove from heat. Add salt and Velveeta and stir until well blended. Stir vegetables into cheese mixture. Just before serving add frozen green peas and heat through briefly.

5 comments:

Rie Pie said...

whoa. That cheese soup is crazy messy.

Lisa said...

What a darling post. You son is the cutest thing ever. I too am a very seasonal cook. There will be no sandwiches for dinner at my house in the fall. Only soups, ha ha . I too love the comfort foods of the season. I love food,

*Marie* said...

I love all the recipes you share. Thank you!

Also, how do you do your pictures like that? It looks so neat.

Lera said...

Marie - I use a program called picasa to make my photo collages. It's free to download from the internet, and very user friendly.

*Marie* said...

What size are the cans of chicken broth? How many oz each?