Sunday, September 13, 2009

Word Girl

For those who know me well, you know I am a certifiable English nerd. I love staying home to raise my children, and wouldn't have it any other way. Yet at times, I do miss being in the classroom teaching literature and all the metaphors, hyperboles and figures of speech that accompany such lessons. Therefore, imagine my delight as I was blog stalking and discovered a fellow blogger with my own passion who documented her favorite words in a post. I, of course, had to follow suit. So, without further ado... big drum roll... since I am sure you are all at the edge of your seats to find out... I present to you a list of my favorite words.

serendipity
acquiesce
felicity
salient
nonetheless
plethora
poppycock
nonchalant
palpable
hodgepodge
ubiquitous
flabbergasted
meander
loquacious
parched
juxtaposition
requiem
chortle
malodorous
hooey
discombobulate
heretofore
asunder

Are there any other literary nerds out there who would like to come forth? What words do you like to work into your daily conversations?

5 comments:

Brian_n_Amy said...

I like learning new words just so I can feel intelligent....yes it is all a facade! I have to admit I don't know how to pronounce some of your favorite words let alone what they mean.

"WORD UP!"

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

Now, the next time we get together I'll be expecting to hear you use some of these words. :) And you might have to tell me what some of them mean.

Erin said...

aww . . . lera. . . do you have to ask? I will be sending you an email with my favorite word as it is not appropriate for your public blog:)

Lera said...

Just opened your e-mail Erin. I have to admit, I knew what it would say before I read it. Still gave me a giggle though. hehe. :)

Amy & Kristina - Eventhough I do know what my words mean (Greg quizzed me last night), I did have to look up how to spell a few of them.

Rie Pie said...

ASUNDER!! That is one of my favorites too!
Did you see this post on Rookie's Blog? Excellent idea.