Sunday, September 27, 2009

Capturing Me: Right Now

Things are going well for the most part. I am excited to be moving on to the final stage of this pregnancy and getting our little guy here. We have been very busy preparing for all that is to come. This is what is going on with me as I enter the last week before the new baby arrives.
  1. Organizing and moving. We have been dejunking for months to make room for our new son. I've either purged, organized, sold, donated and moved about half the items occupying our home. It is a great feeling. We moved Palmer into his big boy room yesterday. He was a little unsure when we took his crib upstairs just after his nap, but once he saw the bright, kid friendly completed room, he was super excited and made himself at home. The final project this week: set up the nursery.

  2. Car Repairs. Our cars have been a nightmare. Mine has completely died. We had to use all our savings to purchase another vehicle, a used Ford Windstar. We have enjoyed our new van and find it very reliable and family friendly, which is a blessing. Only a week later Greg's Mustang started having problems. We had to shell out close to a $1000 to fix the clutch and when we got the car back from the shop (four days later, and a whole lot more commuting for Palmer and I, than expected) it had the check engine light on and was running poorly. We've had the new issue diagnosed and hope to get it fixed while I am in the hospital. Amazingly, his car passed inspections this month. Unfortunately, as a result of our recent vehicle malfunctions, all of our months of hard core budgeting have been erased and we find ourselves in a slightly worse financial position than before we started our money makeover. It can be disheartening. We've decided to just view this a rough patch, and do the best we can to get through it.

  3. Frozen Meals. I'm almost done getting a weeks worth of homemade meals prepared and frozen for after the baby comes. We are very blessed to have many considerate friends and ward members bring in meals for the first week, and the meals I have previously frozen will be a fabulous solution to get us through the second week. I hope to be getting back into the swing of things after that.

  4. Home decor. You may not be able to tell, since only half the rooms in our house have been redesigned in Hess style, but I love home decorating. We've taken the process slowly, working on one room at a time for budgeting and time purposes. So imagine my delight when we realized the baby would be taking over the nursery and I needed to make up a new room for Palmer. We went with an Elmo theme, and with a modest budget, I think it came out pretty cute. I will post pictures later.

  5. Buying Used. I have been loving eBay these days. Not only was I able to sell a load of scrapbook paper piecing sets, and some leftover big items from our garage sale, but I found some great deals on toddler shoes that Palmer desperately needed. We also have frequented the KSL classifieds where we got a steal of a deal on our van and a double stroller.

  6. The Office. Oh how I love Jim and Pam, and am so happy to see them back in our livingroom on Thursday nights! We've also enjoyed catching up on last season on DVD.

  7. Reading. We had book group at my house this past month and had a great turn out. I'm loving this group of gals, for the fun and insight they bring to our get togethers and also for rekindling my passion to read. Currently I am reading The Art of Chasing in the Rain on my own and then I will move on to next month's book selection The Peacegiver.

  8. Tired. I've been keeping myself busy with long daily to do lists and I've been working as many shifts as possible before my maternity leave, which has left me pretty darn exhausted (not that it takes much at this stage). And now, in the last stretch as I am too uncomfortable to sleep, I have been waking at four in the morning. This also happened with my last pregnancy as well, which was easily solved by napping in the afternoon. Such a solution is not possible this time with a toddler in tow.

  9. Paper crafting. I have completed my second month of a paper crafting swap I am part of, and both times has been awesome! These woman really put their heart and soles into the projects each month. I have my project for next month (recipe card sets) already to go since I probably won't have much time to get to it with a newborn.

  10. Runner up. And finally, these days, I find myself in the position of second choice. Palmer is so in love with his Daddy! I am, at best, a suitable backup. He sobs every morning as Greg leaves for work, or even leaves the room. Palmer proceeds to ask for him all day, and runs to him for cuddles the moment he gets home. He recites "da da" in a happy excited tone and "ma ma" in a whiny sad voice. I think it is good timing for him to be such a daddy's boy, since I will soon be physically consumed with taking care of a newborn, but selfishly, I can't help but feel sad about it once in a while.

3 comments:

*Marie* said...

I just want you to know I think you are amazing. You are an inspiration to me.

It was wonderful to read all this about you. You are such a busy woman. But you seem to be loving the majority of it.

Best wishes for you and your new little one.

Brian_n_Amy said...

I know what you mean about being "runner up." Tali has recently been more into Daddy than ever before. She just clings to him whenever he's home.

Good luck with everything. Please let me know if you need help with anything. I'm always home.

Rie Pie said...

This post must have taken a while. Palmer's room is looking so cute. You guys are getting so much done!!