Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Laid Off

We received some bad news yesterday. Greg is being laid off a month from now, a month before the baby is due. His company is losing the account he currently contracts for. The news just makes me sick. We thought something was off a month or two ago and were praying about what we should do, i.e. look for a new job or stick things out and I felt that all would work out and that we just needed to have faith. I assumed that answer to our prayers meant he would keep his job, but that turned out not to be the case. I know that I received that answer of comfort before and that I need to have faith and remember all will work out for the best. The Lord has always watched out for us and has our best interest in heart.

I am mostly worried about how this will affect our insurance, and the delivery, whether I will be able to stay with my current OB. Greg has lost his job once before, but now with a child, a pregnancy and a mortgage, being unemployed is a much more terrifying prospect. I know many of our friends are going through this as well and can understand how I am feeling right now and I appreciate that. I think now that we are going through it ourselves we have gained better insight into others' trials.

11 comments:

sweet nectar sara said...

we were switching jobs when having one of our boys and were able to keep the insurance through cobra.
http://www.cobrainsurance.com/COBRA_FAQ.htm

i don't remember all the details for premiums, but i thought i would pass along the info. so you can compare it to other options such as medicaid, CHIP...

i'm sorry your family is going though this and i wish you the best.

Rie Pie said...

I am so sorry!! Ugh, this just breaks my heart. Please let me know if I can do anything for you!!!

Just remember that you guys can always room with me...and I could help deliver the baby...

Adrienne said...

My heart just breaks for you guys, we know that feeling all too well. We will be praying that he finds something new soon, and that you have the peace and comfort you need in the meantime with so much weighing on your minds. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Brian_n_Amy said...

I am really sorry about that. I can't really say that I know what you're going through. I will keep you guys in our prayers. Hopefully something will turn up. I will keep my ears open and if I hear of anything, I will definitely let you know.

Tiffany said...

Lera, I am so so sorry. Just know of your answer to your prayers and have faith that it will all work out for the best.

*Marie* said...

I understand your anguish. When Selo told me what was happening, I wanted to simply cry. Not only for us, but for the whole team. I know you guys will be okay, but I am praying for you. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Heaven knows we'll be looking.

PS I agree with sweet nectar sara. We were on Cobra for a while, and it saved us. We'll be going on it when D day happens.

Lisa said...

Oh Lera, I am so sad for this news. I can not imagine the amount of stress you must have with the baby on the way and all that goes with that. Keep you faith and we will keep you in our prayers.
Hugs, love Lisa

Nick, Sonja, Andrew, Madelyn, and Luke said...

Being in the insurance industry, I would definitely look into COBRA as soon as possible. The employer sometimes contributes to the premiums but sometimes don't, so it can be pretty expensive-but definitely worth it. If you need more info, just let me know.

Jenn said...

I am so sorry! I am sure that everything will work out. You guys will be in our prayers. Maybe now Greg will find a job down here!

Lera said...

Thanks everyone for your kind and comforting words, and your prayers. It means a lot to us to have so much support.

As for the insurance. I'm pretty sure we will be doing COBRA. We checked and the insurance will be up about a week before the planned c-section for the baby. Sadly, it'll be a least an extra thousand we will have to add on to our predicted medical expenses. But, what do you do. Hopefully by then, Greg will have another job with steady income to pay all those medical bills.

Stoney said...

You are in my prayers. And if I hear of any good job openings, I will let you know. Does Greg know much about web-hosting? Stoney's company has been hiring. bad part is it is in Provo!