Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It Comes in Threes

Everyone says that bad stuff comes in threes. Well, today we were struck with our third financial crisis (number one being Greg getting laid off, number two being having to unexpectedly pay for our own insurance for the upcoming baby delivery); my car died. It's been a good car, stuck with me since college and currently has 165,000 miles on it, so I knew it could go any day... but the timing is absolutely awful. Man oh man, it's hard to not feel like we are being buried at the moment.

It started acting up last night, making funny noises and stalling a couple times at lights. This afternoon it drove fine as I dropped off Palmer at my sister's so I could go to my OB appointment, but just before arriving at the office, it died in mid-drive. I coasted into the parking lot and to avoid hitting a car had to come to a stop right at the entrance. No matter what I tried the car would not start up again. Everyone was honking at me and getting very annoyed and I couldn't do anything about it. It's not likely that I could move a car on my own, but being eight months pregnant, there was no possible way. I called Greg in a panic and he said he would leave work and come to help. I put on my hazards and went to my appointment, letting the front desk know (on the verge of tears) that my husband was coming to move the car and to please not have it towed. Needless to say, at my visit my blood pressure was a little high. Greg arrived after a half hour, and was able to move the car into a parking spot. We went to the store to buy a towing rope and he towed me and the car to a nearby autoshop.

So I'm trying to be positive here. At least I made it into the parking lot and wasn't stuck on the street. Thankfully, Greg's work is unbelieveable slow with the department being laid off and he was able to help. My sister saved the day by watching Palmer for a couple additional unexpected hours as we towed the car. We have a small emergency fund we had planned on using on medical bills and to help with both of us losing our income (I will not be able to work for six weeks with the c-section recovery), but at least we have something to pull from and hopefully have enough to fix the car.

If anyone wants to send some happy, uplifting thoughts my way, please feel free to do so. I have faith that everything will work out, I really do. But it is hard not to get down when you are in the brunt of your trials.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my sweet sweet Lera, I love you faith. Despite everything, you are still holding on. I am so proud of you.
This all just sucks. It is so hard to see the reasoning behind it all. It really is A LOT to have to deal with.
I can see how you would feel picked on a bit.
You stay strong. You tell yourself there is a silver lining to all of this. You have been faithful and you will be blessed. The Lord will not leave your side. Just hold on tight.
I love you and we are here if you need anything. Let those around you help you also. We can all use the blessings. Hang in there.
love ya

Adrienne said...

When I saw the part about your car on fb, I have to admit I thought "what more could happen to them?" This is certainly not the relaxation and nesting time most nearly-term mothers hope for. I am sure it will work out, though, Greg seems like such a smart guy and you are both such strong people. I hope that a few months down the road you will look back and say 'whew, glad that's over'. If there's anything I can do, please let me know - I know we can't do much from here but Adam is pretty good at reviewing resumes and knows several headhunters Greg might be able to talk to if he has trouble finding something new...but if nothing else, I will certainly be praying for you!

Rie Pie said...

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place. But believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact, be the first steps of a journey." -Violet Baudelaire, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfotunate Events

Lera I am so sorry for everything. I really wish that I could fix everything with a snap of my fingers. I love you to death. Let me know if I can do anything for you or the rest of the Hess clan.

Jenn said...

Man, that really stinks! I am so sorry! I know that everything will work out for you guys, but it is hard not knowing how and when. We will be praying for you guys!