Our house is almost all ours (we will have to finish the garage and attic next year), but all the rooms now are dejunked, full of only our stuff and cleared out to make room for the new baby. It is a great feeling!
Here are a few funny/embarrassing items we found in our process of purging. I'll leave it up to your imagination to decide which items were my parents' and which were actually among our possessions.
- Backstreet Boys CD
- Spice Girls CD
- a bag of shopping bags that someone thought were cute enough to save for years
- NES Nintendo complete with Dr. Mario
- a crochet hoop that is approximately the size of a human
- three packages of the same LDS card game
- 3rd Rock from the Sun, seasons one and two on DVD
- every decoration (including tied ribbon bows) from my wedding reception
- a whole lot of LDS teenage fiction novels (i.e. Anita Stansfield, Jack Weyland, Chris Heimerdinger...)
- the tackiest, gaudiest motorized suncatcher I have ever seen (which I secretly love because it so reminds me of my mom)
- an album full of newspaper clippings from the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, not to mention a Beret, and about 30 collector pins
- an old broken hamper full of dirty towels
- a box full of rusty pipes and broken sprinkler heads
- a 20 year old ward cookbook with Relief Society incorrectly spelled
FYI - many of these embarrassing items were thrown away or in the case of a rare collector, marked for a quarter.