Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Swine Flu Craze

Yesterday was medical madness! Palmer awoke in the early morning, sobbing with a fever, a hacking cough and wheezing. He had not been interested in eating the previous couple days (so not like him) and had thrown up once.

We decided to take him to the instacare. The doctor knew he had a flu, just not what kind. They tested him for swine flu, but the results wouldn't be back for a day or two. Since he is so young they decided to put him on Tamiflu anyway. Tamiflu fights the flu but is only effective if started during the first 48 hours. It is also ridiculously expensive, as in $60 for a bottle with our insurance. Once they found out I was pregnant, they got pretty nervous and wanted to test me too and perhaps start me on Tamiflu. All I had was a stuffy nose, so I decided to use my regular doctor to test (the instacare is another $75), and wait on the purchase another dose of Tamiflu once I got the results.

Greg called in late to work. I called around, and found out not everyone does the swine flu test, my OB, no, my family practitioner, no. I finally found a doctor that my OB recommended, so I made an appointment. If Greg stayed home with Palmer, I would make it back just in time for him to only miss half a day of work. I went to the appointment as planned only to find out the doctor was not in my OB's same building as I had figured when I was told his office was right across from my doctor's, but clear across town at my OB's other office. I called them and they said they would still fit me in, but I was 45 minutes late just from the drive. Of course, Greg was late then and had to round up doctors' notes so his work wouldn't penalize him. The office I went to had a rapid results test, so I found out I did not have swine flu in ten minutes (no surprise there). The doctor still debated if I should start Tamiflu, just because we had been exposed over a week ago, and on the off chance that Palmer had it. I convinced him since I wasn't even sick, we could start it if Palmer's test came back positive, or I would call immediately if I started showing symptoms.

I got home just in time to make a dinner for a woman I visit teach who just had a baby. I, of course, had to call someone else to deliver the meal, since Palmer and I (Greg was at work by this point, so I'd have to bring him) could be carrying a flu virus to the newborn. The relief society president was very kind to drop it off. We ended the day with a very tired, mom, dad and baby.

Today was another rough day. Palmer is one sick little guy. He woke up several times during the night hacking and sobbing. His cough had worsened and had become a barking cough. His wheezing got pretty severe at times through the day as well. I waited at home all day and finally received the results at 7:00 pm, which thankfully were also negative. We were advised to continue the Tamiflu since he was worsening because test results could always be wrong. Unless he has a quick recovery by tomorrow morning, I'll be taking him in again.

I am very thankful for the medical treatment we have available to our family, but honestly, this swine flu scare is causing outright madness! I suppose I will get a few more scares before the year is over, working in a daycare and all. But now is time to focus on getting my little boy back to his regular happy, healthy state.

4 comments:

*Marie* said...

Good luck, Sweetie. I'm glad the results were negative for both of you, and I'm sure they are correct. (Drs wouldn't be using it if it wasn't, right?)

Please let me know what Selo and I can do to help. If you need someone to grab groceries, or help you clean your house, or come over and watch Palmer so you can get some uninterrupted sleep. I want to help out, I just don't know what would help you the most.

Jenn said...

I am glad the results were negative, but that is crazy! I hope he gets better soon! Poor guy!

Rie Pie said...

I'm sorry that your poopy. Let me know if I can do anything to help you out with.

Brian_n_Amy said...

Oh. Poor little guy. I hope he is feeling better. It really sucks when they are sick like that. Sorry you had such a rough couple of days.