Sunday, July 5, 2009

Into Uglies

I have a new obsession! A couple weeks ago I read Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and I was instantly hooked. I then proceeded to neglect my housework for the next several days as I devoured the entire trilogy (Pretties and Specials, I still have Extras to check out from the library this week). I'm really not a big science fiction fan, but these novels really appealed to me. The story reminded me of The Giver (one of my favorite books) but with Harry Potter adventure, and as a bonus there is a bit of romance worked into the mix. I also was pleasantly surprised by the unpredictable plot. I more often than not figure out the endings of stories before I finish them, but not with these. The material isn't all just fun and fluff. The novels bring up a lot of questions about appearance, independent thinking and the power of government. I passed the books onto my sisters after I finished them and they also sped through them within a couple weeks, and are likewise infatuated. So, those of you who are looking for a fun, well written and addicting read, check it out!

I feel like I am finally getting into the swing of things in regards to being a mom. I can keep a semi-clean house, put a nice meal on the table each day, take good care of my son and still find a little me time to read and scrapbook. Unfortunately, I only have three more months of this newfound success and then we are adding another little guy's schedule to adapt to and work around. I am a bit nervous about how I will handle two babies. It seems it took me a whole year to figure out how to deal with the one. I guess all I can do is have faith, hope I learned some good lessons from the first time around and possibly work a babysitting fund into our budget so that I don't lose my mind.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Don't worry to much Lera, it's always an adjustment with a new baby. But it gets easier with each child you add because you know what you are doing. Unlike with your first one. You will do great, your a great Mom!!!

*Marie* said...

Thanks for the review! I've been looking for another series to sink into. I'll be picking this up next time I hit up the library.

And for the record, I think you are a great mom, and I hope I can be like you when we have our babies.

Rie Pie said...

My "book club" at my work is now reading these because I love it so much!! I'm only half way through Pretties, and I'd be done if I wasn't working all the freakin time!!

PS: READ THE HUNGER GAMES!!!! BEST BOOK EVER!!!

Jenn said...

I read these books about a year ago and loved them! They are addicting. I didn't like one part in them but that was it. I will tell you after you read them! I know I neglected Sammy while reading them!

Lera said...

Jenn - There has been one aspect of these that I have also found to be highly disturbing. I know that these novls are written for young adults, but I would worry that teens aren't mature enough to realize the true message behind some of the characters' acts, that the author isn't condoning what they are doing but rather pointing out how wrong it is.