Thursday, June 25, 2009

Forget It

This Sunday as I was sitting in the pew at church, I was overwhelmed with just how uncomfortable I was. Then it all came flashing back, the utterly awkward state of third-trimester pregnancy: the trouble breathing, the constant adjusting, to no relief, and the memory of Greg and I plopped down on the foyer couch during sacrament meeting for the last couple weeks before delivery because it was too uncomfortable to sit anywhere else.

I've heard that woman have an innate ability to forget the pains of labor so that they will once again go through the torment to benenfit future generations of mankind. I can attest that this is true. I had gallbladder surgery merely seven weeks after I had a c-section for Palmer. The gallbladder surgery is much less serious and less invasive than the c-section, but the recovery was rougher for me. It brought back all the feelings of the earlier surgery, unpleasant memories that my body had already managed to suppress. And I vowed it would be a while before I would put myself through such pain again.

Yet now, as I experience pregnancy once again (mind you not that long after the first), I have come to the realization that women not only forget the horrors of labor, but all and every unpleasantness which accompanies being with child. Yes, I forgot just how bad morning sickness is; I forgot that throwing up from pregnancy is much more violent and sudden and thick (sorry for the T.M.I.) than regular flu induced puking. I forgot about the heartburn. I forgot how uncomfortable it is to sleep and the leg cramps that are a constant company through the night. I forgot how hot my body feels (I can't even imagine what the later summer months are going to feel like). I forgot just how tired I get by the end of the day. I forgot how I can smell like a bloodhound, which is not the best attribute to have when you work at a daycare among a plethora of poopy babies. Yes, I forgot it all. As each stage comes I remember a little bit more, and amid my frustration, I cannot help but be impressed by God's plan. He really did think of everything, an inborn capacity to obliterate all memory of pregnancy's undesirable side effects. How else can you explain the phenomenon of us woman jumping up and down excitedly upon a positive pregnancy test as apposed to falling to the floor in a heap of wallowing tears? I tell you, He surely knows what he is doing.

2 comments:

The Hancuff's said...

i thought i heard that women's body releases a specific hormone shortly after childbirth that actually makes them forget. it's a proven fact. now that's a loving heavenly father:) and a heavenly father with a wierd sense of humor, ia good way of course, i don't want to get struck by lightning as i type.

*Marie* said...

Good post, Lera