Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Baby Talk

It's no secret that I am a talkative person. In grade school I always received good grades but my citizenship suffered a bit due to that fact, as one teacher so eloquently commented on the back of my report card, I was "a little too social." Well, it seems Palmer has inherited my gift for gab. Sure, usually we don't have any idea what he is saying or for the most part, what he is referring to, but his mouth seems destined to be going nonstop.

We, of course, find his baby talk darling, as any proud parent, and can't seem to get enough of it. Greg mused the other day on how Palmer's dialect does not conform to the regular "goo goo" and "ga ga" you hear from most babes. Instead, it seems Palmer has been learning to talk from some Vietnamese family, for his diction is full of consonants and is quite fast and clipped. Often I can make out a few tongue clicks in the mix, which leads me to the assumption that there is also an adopted African child amongst these mysterious Vietnamese tutors.

In the past few weeks we have been able to make out a few words amid his constant garbling. He now says mama and dada in reference to us, usually when whining, crying or searching for us. He also says hi fairly often, always as we enter his room to get him after a nap. And just recently, he has started to utter the word yeah, along with my favorite of his sayings, "Oh, yeah!" Usually spoken in a sort of hushed excitement. Each time he says it I can't help but break into a smile.

Yesterday I was reflecting on where he would have picked up this term which he so frequently recites, when I caught myself speaking it a couple times just minutes later. I guess I will have to start watching what I say more carefully. "Oh yeah," is pretty cute, but I don't think I want my one year old reciting other phrases that often come out of my mouth, i.e. "Oh crap," or "That sucks," or "Look how fat my belly is getting!"

Here is a short video to illustrate some of his baby talk.

video

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love baby "jibberish" and Palmer has plenty of it to share. What a cute boy!!

Jenn said...

That is so funny! I love it! He really does "talk" a lot!

Haley Greer said...

That DOES sound like vietnamese! How funny.

Coco said...

Leeeerrrraaa!!! I keep meaning to leave a comment on your blog and then I always forget. I'm kind of totally lame. I loved how you started this post about getting good grades in school but your citizenship score always being low because of talking too much, that was the story of my life all through elementary hahaha! so funny and Palmer is freakin' adorable!