Monday, April 6, 2009

Burn Out

It's happened. We've become one of those couples who argue over whose turn it is to change the baby's diaper. I always watched those couples, when I was single, newlywed, and even a new mom, and would resist rolling my eyes as they bickered back and forth over a job that takes a couple minutes to perform. But yes, we have entered that pivotal stage where every diaper, every feeding, every time Palmer gets into the entertainment system wires, we launch into a desperate debate of whose turn it is to take care of that said baby issue. My conclusion to this new phenomenon is simple; we are utterly and overly burnt out!

There's been a few times during motherhood that I have felt my fire fizzle in such a manner, and thankfully, my considerate husband Greg has always been there to pick up the pieces, i.e. run a load of dishes while I take a nap, comfort a crying baby so I can comfort myself, or take me out to eat instead of having me make dinner. I don't know if it's the added difficulty of being pregnant, or the fussiness Palmer has been exerting through his various recent illnesses, but now even my dependable husband backup is burnt out.

So here are some things I am imagining today as Palmer naps to help me feel better.
  • A dip in a bubbling hot tub on a cool evening.
  • Sitting on a beach and rubbing my bare toes into the warm sand.
  • Relaxing on the couch and reading a book while a maid cleans my home.
  • Dining at a fancy restaurant with candlelight, a pianist and creme brulee.
  • Sleeping on a nice big soft bed with a big fluffy pillow.
Ah, I almost feel better already.

Tonight we are redeeming my sister's birthday gift to Greg, a free date, movie and babysitting. Hooray! Hopefully we will return a little less stressed, a little more relaxed and a bit happier. And as a bonus, someone else will be changing the diapers this evening.

7 comments:

Linnae said...

I think it's time for another GNO for all of us! Hang in there!! I like your hot tub idea way too much though. Might have to go take a hot bath and blow some bubbles and imagine I'm in a hot tub. ENJOY your date!

Barb said...

A nice nap, while the baby naps always helps one feel rejuvenated and ready to take on the next round of Palmerisms....

Tiffany said...

I've just established that I'm the diaper changer. ALWAYS. Maybe once in a blue moon, Jay will change a wet diaper, but NEVER a poopy one. So, Jay gets the responsibility when she pukes. There's just something about throw up that I can't handle. Jay thinks it's a pretty nice trade off because she poops WAY more than she pukes. Whatever.

Erin said...

Oh crap -- i'm totally the person you want to roll your eyes out, huh? have fun on your date!

*Marie* said...

Good for you guys. I'm sure a night out will help you both. It's nice that you have people that will help out, when both of you need a few minutes of a break.

Lera said...

Just a little update - We saw Monsters Vs. Aliens (We were really hoping to see an adult film, but it was the only decent flick on a at the right time that wasn't rated R). It was very cute and we really enjoyed ourselves. And Palmer provided Sariah with two poopy diapers while we were gone.

Jenn said...

I can't believe you haven't been burnt out sooner, it hit us a lot faster than that! At least you guys get to go out fairly often, I am sure that is wonderful!