Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Life with a Crawling Baby

Palmer has been crawling now for a couple of weeks, and let me tell you, he is one busy little fellow! I remember saying how he got into everything when he was rolling around. I honestly had no idea what was to come. And now everyone is telling me it will get much worse when he starts to walk; I can't even imagine!

This morning, during the ten minutes it took me to eat my Lucky Charms, I watched Palmer do the following in our kitchen: talk to his reflection in the stove door, pull the dish towel down off of the refrigerator handle, pick hairs off our broom and rub them in between his fingers, roll up the kitchen mat, pull on and wildly swing our sliding door blinds, tip over the garbage can, yank on the kitchen phone cord, and eat a couple cheerios off the floor leftover from his morning breakfast.

I have come to realize a few facts about crawling babies these past weeks.

  1. Babies are born with an innate attraction to the most fragile, expensive and dangerous household items (and in these frequent cases, redirection does not work).
  2. It is not possible to truly baby proof your house.
  3. I indubitably need to keep a cleaner home. (This morning after an excursion down our hallway Palmer returned with a dust bunny right a top his head.)
  4. Everything is a new adventure to explore, and is much more exciting than manufactured baby toys.
  5. I honestly do not have the energy to keep up with him. Most of the time when Palmer gets into stuff he should not, I usually just sit there and watch him. Unless it is a danger to him, I figure, what's the point? He'll find it again in a couple hours or the next day.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

I love the last point, it's so true! You can't be ultra-vigilant 100% of the time!

mj said...

this is my advice, take it or leave it...block him into one room that you can make totally safe. C was the same way (busy, busy, busy) and it did get MUCH WORSE as he started to toddle and walk and now that he is almost two he is just starting to catch on. You are totally right...a lot of times redirection does not work, so to keep yourself and him from going crazy...have one space that he can be free and you do not have to worry. we believe in baby gates around here and I believe that if he is used to them from the beginning he will not have a problem with them later on. Now C says "gate, safe"

*Marie* said...

LOL Awesome post. Thanks for the "lessons". I like the dust bunny part :)