Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Punishment or Blessing: a Lesson Reconfirmed through Puke

I am finally over the worst stomach flu I have ever had in my life. I don't mean to be dramatic, but I think I'd rather jump from a speeding car than go through it again; alright so maybe I do mean to be a bit dramatic. I won't go into details, but I'll just say that today I am vehemently scrubbing the toilets, the bathroom tile, my clothes, my skin, my hair, and everything else within human projectile distance. Seriously, it was bad, and to my abhorrence, it lasted three whole days!

It started Friday night. We had planned on going to our stake temple day. Greg got off work early. I arranged a sitter for Palmer. We got spiffied up, drove to the temple in rush hour traffic, and hunted desperately for a parking spot. As we were waiting in line to enter the temple (yes, it was so busy that there was a line to get in) I pulled out my temple recommend to discover it had expired five days earlier. I wanted to cry. I felt like I so needed an evening in the peace and tranquility of the temple. We dejectedly went back to the car and I called my dad who was watching Palmer to tell him we were coming back to pick him up. He told us to go out and enjoy the night and that he would still watch Palmer.

We decided to get some dinner at The European Connection and see the movie Coraline, which was in 3D. Greg really enjoyed the movie. I can't give you an honest opinion since I was quite preoccupied about half way through the movie being doubled over with nausea and pain. I was inconveniently at the top of the theater, sandwiched between a crowded row of people on each side. It would be a long, jostling way to the bathroom, so I figured the movie was almost over and tried to think unnauseating thoughts. I somehow made it through and on the drive home we came to the conclusion that I must have gotten motion sickness from the 3D effects. I told Greg that I was being punishing for not making it to the temple. When we arrived at my dad's house, I literally ran to the bathroom to immediately throw up the contents of stomach. At home I repeated the act. About the fifth trip to the bathroom, at three o'clock in the morning, I concluded it was not from motion sickness.

I am a strong believer in finding blessings through our trials, and as I look back on this nasty virus, I find it is no exception. I have had my fair share of embarrassment over public displays of sickness (i.e. throwing up on TRAX in college, twice, on connecting trains, as in two separate groups of observers), but I do believe nothing would top the mortification of throwing up in the temple. So for that, as well as my recovery to health, I am thankful.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I hate the flu more than ANYTHING! I would rather have strep throat than the flu. There's just something about puking that rubs me the wrong way.

Lisa said...

You poor girl, you have had your fair share of this awful bug. That is NO fun and not fair it lasted 3 days. I have a stupid cold and would rather suffer this for 3 months then to have that for 3 days. It is painful, I have passed out in the bathroom before from that. I will have to share the story some time in person. Get better pretty lady. Will I see you on Friday Night? Love ya

Stoney said...

I am glad you are feeling better!!

Lera said...

Greg and I are going Friday night. I'm excited you will be there too!