Friday, February 20, 2009

Good Reads

Last night I hosted our relief society book group. We read The House on Mango Street. It was my third time devouring it, and I love it more every time I rip through its pages. The first time I read it was in high school and I didn't truly appreciate its worth. The second time I revisited the tale was as a college student who was basing a lesson plan around it, and I realized what an amazing piece of literature it actually was. This time, I read the entire book (it's only about 100 pages) one night when I couldn't sleep and just enjoyed the ride. Sandra Cisneros is an absolutely amazing, beautiful writer. I want to be her when I grow up! This next month we are reading The Guernsey Literacy and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I'm about half way through and am really enjoying it; it's a charming read.

The book group is great fun for me. I love reading and it gives me a coaxing to follow through with my passion and even to share it with others. I've also been enjoying http://www.goodreads.com/. My list of books to read has grown immensely since I joined its ranks. If you're interested in swapping reviews, feel free to sign up and be one of my book buddies.

"He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. By study, by reading, by thinking, one may innocently divert and pleasantly entertain himself, as in all weathers, as in all fortunes."
~ Barrow

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I'm glad you're on good reads, Lera, because you've read some great books that I forgot I wanted to read. :) I have a long list in my head of books I want to read, but when I get to the library, I forget...(I should write them down, shouldn't ? haha).