Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Still Sore

About a week ago Greg mentioned that he would be turning 27 this year. I nodded along nonchalantly until I realized that also meant I would be turning 27 this year, and then I instantly began to freak out. I'll be honest with you, I do this every year, with every birthday. I am not one who ages well. With every additional year, I stress about how many things I have not done, everything I am behind on, how I am no longer young and cute, etc. As always, Greg shook his head and sighed in slight exasperation and then desperately tried to convince me that it wasn't a big deal, and that I actually wasn't getting "really old" as I so insisted. His implore fell on deaf ears as I rebutted that I was almost thirty and that we instantly needed to have another child. We ended the conversation agreeing to disagree.

Well, I now have proof that I am getting old and decrepit! On Sunday, after church, as I was clad in my pantyhose and missing the traction of my earlier worn shoes, I slipped on our hardwood stairs and fell down hard. (A little side note on my impressive spill - I tumbled down three stairs while holding a cup of liquid in each hand. The glasses, as well as my water and Greg's root beer both remained intact, besides some back splashing on my clothes. I don't know if this unconscious action to sacrifice my body in order to protect what I carried in my arms comes from a maternal instinct or what, but nonetheless I saved our apparently precious drinks.) The point of my mentioning my very loud, forceful and somewhat ridiculous looking fall - it occurred Sunday; today is Tuesday, and I am still hurting! So yes, it's official, I am an old fogie, because only old people fall down and hurt for days afterward.

4 comments:

mj said...

thanks for the laugh lera...i totally needed it! you crazy girl! what are you doing walking around in nylons with no shoes or slippers? and yes, i do believe protecting what is in your arms in maternal...either is be to protect something small and fragile or protecting your precious time from cleaning something else is the real question!

Lisa said...

OH Lera Lera Lera,
You may feel old but take comfort in that fact that you are still in your twenties. My dear one. I am so sorry you are still sore and sorry that you feel.
Come talk to me when you are hitting 40 my friend, I am 38 and will be 39 this year, yes the last year of my 30's. So you are still cute and young and you just had a little misfortune. Hang on to the 20's my friend. But no need to fret the future, life is what you make it. Love ya

Rie Pie said...

I'm sorry that you feel. I wonder if I'm rubbing off on you. I haven't fallen in a few weeks. Knock on wood.

Missy said...

Your still so young. But if it makes you feel better I was mistaken for Krissy's mom today by one of her school teachers while my mom was sitting across from us. Me old enough to have a 15 year old!Thats BAD