Saturday, January 24, 2009

Scrappin' Again

It's been a few months since I've worked on my scrapbook. Mostly because I scrapbook chronologically and my next pictures were of my mother's funeral; they overwhelmed me. I wanted the pages to be extra special and I wasn't sure how to go about them. I could journal endlessly about what my mother meant to me and the influence she had on my life. What should I include? And then, there is the whole battle of dealing with everything, which honestly, it's usually easier to pass over the grief and try to not dwell on it.

But alas, I finally decided it was time to take the plunge. I picked up the cardstock and Zig pen once more and set to work. I decided to make it simple: documenting the dates, meaningful titles, a clean elegant style, and I used the obituary (which I wrote with the help of my siblings), and the talk I gave at the service as the journaling. I did break down once and had a good cry, but I finished the task, and I am proud of it. Each of these layouts has a pocket full of extra mementos: "In Memory" has pictures of guests at the viewing, "Valerie May Nichols, My Dear Mother" has a pocket full of dried rose petals from the bouquet atop her casket, and "'Until We Meet Again" has the talk I wrote. Some nice little treasures for generations to come.


pattern paper: Chatterbox, diecut: quickutz Washington, lace: Fancy Pants, font: CK Legacy, unknown: vellum, metallic paper and hat pin



paper: KMA, stickers: My Minds Eye, pen: Zig, stamps and ink: Close to my Heart, chalk: Stampin' Up!, brads, Making Memories, unknown: lace


cardstock: Bazzill, pattern paper: Sonnets and Fancy Pants, lace: Bo Bunny, pearls: The Robins Nest, font: CK Heritage, silk flowers: Ofray, other: Lace Doiley, skeleton leaves, metal rimmed tag

9 comments:

Rie Pie said...

I miss her so much. I know that we will be together again. I love you.

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

Such beautiful pages.

Tiffany said...

You did an amazing job!

Emily said...

Those pages are beautiful, Lera.

Stoney said...

Beautiful... Overwhelming Spirit as I looked over them.

Lisa said...

You are so brave. I am SO proud of you for doing this and you did an amazing job. It has been 3 1/2 years for me and I still can not face this. I love and admire you so much Lera.
You really did a beautiful job.

Barb said...

I miss your mom so much, we had 30 years of friendship that I will always carry in my heart. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pages.

mj said...

you did a wonderful job documenting this really tough time. thank you for sharing.

Martha Belle Schultz said...

How beautiful Lera ! I would love to do something like thiss for my Dad's memoir . I love how creative you are !