Thursday, January 8, 2009

Recipe - Steak and Kidney Pie, Minus the Kidney

Get ready for a whole load of recipes from the Hess home this week. This one is very dear and special to me. My granny was a cook for royalty in England where they always had steak and kidney pie for Christmas dinner. Granny carried on the tradition and cooked it for my mother every Christmas Eve and so my mother also made it for us every Christmas Eve. I have wonderful memories of this meal. We always made one pie with kidney and one without. My mother would have to special order the kidney since it's not the most popular meat. And, I'll let you in on a secret that makes the kidney even more unappetizing than you would originally conceive... it stinks! Man oh man, does it ever stink. It cooks all day long and it's pungent smell fills the entire house. I, not being one who enjoys the kidney, always opted for the other pie. In fact, neither of my sisters like the kidney either and I honestly believe my parents only ate it in observance of the tradition. One beauty of this meal is that you can make it as simple or as in depth as you like, as in you can use boxed and instant or make the layers fresh and from scratch. My parents always went with a premade pie crust and instant mashed potatoes and their faithful and reliable can of Veg-All (ugh! Not a fan of the Veg-All). I, on the other hand, add a little more love to it. Anyhow, I will be carrying on the third generational tradition of steak and kidney pie for my family every Christmas, minus the kidney that is.

Steak and Kidney Pie

pie crust
beef kidney
cubed steak
cream of mushroom soup
mashed potatoes
mixed vegetables
beef gravy

Chop kidney and cook by boiling all day. Precook steak also. Mix meats with cream of mushroom soup and vegetables. Line the bottom of a pie plate with pie crust. Add meat mixture. Top with mashed potatoes. Garnish potatoes with a little sprinkling of seasoning salt, paprika or parsley. Bake 375 for about an hour. Serve with gravy alongside.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I remember being invited for Christmas Eve dinner. The pie with kidney actually wasn't that bad tasting. Maybe because I didn't have to smell it cooking all day long. I really miss your house and the way your mom always made Christmas so special.

Tiffany said...

I thought the recipe was for steak and kidney BEANS!! Silly me. I've never heard of steak and kidney pie before. Glad you could keep the tradition in your family going.

Rie Pie said...

yummmmmmmmmmmm.