Monday, January 5, 2009

My Fairy Tale Wedding

I posted in December about our tree and how it is decorated with all the ornaments from our wedding. I received a couple requests to post our wedding pictures, so for those of you who missed the event, here they are! What I loved about our wedding day:


  • I was married in the right place to the right person.

  • Greg was so excited that he showed up at the temple more than an hour early and was given some wedding advice from the temple workers as he waited for everyone else.

  • I was a little nervous beforehand but once I entered the sealing room I felt absolute peace.

  • Since my mother was physically handicapped and was unable to help me get into my dress, I was allowed to have not only her but also my mother-in-law in the bride's room with me.

  • We held a ring ceremony on the temple grounds afterwards. My father officiated and we recited to each other the same scripture my parents and older sister and her husband said to each other at their weddings. Ruth 1:16 "...for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God."

  • We took lots of kissy pictures. Greg and I kissing, Greg and I and my parents and his parents kissing, Greg's sisters kissing his cheeks, me kissing my mom's cheek, etc. (This, by the way, is the only page I have scrapbooked of my wedding. I have done countless wedding albums for friends and for business, but have never gotten to my own.)
What I loved about our wedding reception:


  • It was absolutely beautiful! I love the cool muted colors of winter, I love the soft delicate snowflakes and anything that sparkles and glistens, and all of that was captured perfectly. Just about the whole ward left their lighted Christmas trees put together after Christmas so that we could use them at the reception.

  • We had live music, a pianist and two violinists. The same trio played at my mother's viewing two and a half years later.

  • So many wonderful friends and family came to support and congratulate us.

  • Our sign in book was a scrapbook I had made of our engagement pictures with open spaces for journaling intended for our friends and family. I often go back and read everyone's well wishes and encouragement.

  • After smashing cake in each other's faces, to all the guests astonishment, Greg licked the frosting off the side of my face.

  • My cake was gorgeous! It was from Schmidt's Bakery where Greg's sister worked at the time. It was totally custom designed by my older sister and I. There were intricately rolled fondant snowflakes with silver balls covering the cake.

  • Greg's father cut in on my dance with my father and instead of dancing with me, to the utter embarrassment of my father, he started dancing with him.

  • Our car was decked out with Saran Wrap around the doors, condom balloons, slightly obscene writing, and Oreo's spelling out the word "love". The Oreo's froze to the car and we were initially unable to get them off, so on our honeymoon trip to Sun Valley, one by one they would fly off the hood and smack into our windshield.
Such wonderful memories I have of our wedding day. I would do it all over again every year if I could! I guess a nice anniversary date will have to be suffice.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Lera, How beautiful. I am so glad you had your fairy tale wedding. What a cherish memory. I love it all.

mj said...

simply beautiful