Sunday, December 28, 2008

Terrorists, Rabid Dogs, and Croup are Equal in My Book

Palmer has croup. He woke up on Friday with a barking cough and some serious wheezing. He was too sick to even cry about it; it just broke my heart! We took him to the doctor that afternoon (by then it was really bad and I was getting pretty scared), and the diagnosis was confirmed. We've been giving him Tylenol and ibuprofen round the clock, taking him in the bathroom with us when we shower, and putting him upright in his carseat at night with the humidifier on him full blast.

Today he is doing much better. I am so relieved. I feel that I am a strong person, but when it comes to my child being sick, I totally lose it. Every time he had a coughing fit I started to cry. I was an absolute mess! The experience was truly terrifying for me.

Greg and I were talking about how I am so overly emotionally attached to our little Palmer. When he is crying, my entire body tenses up. I can't do anything but frantically try and comfort him. While on the other hand, Greg can easily tune him out. I don't understand it. Is this a normal motherly response, or am I just an overbearing freak? Hopefully, it gets a bit easier as he gets older. I honestly don't know how I would deal with a broken bone or something more serious.

6 comments:

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

It's the same way in our house. I think it must be a guy thing to tune these things out. I hope Palmer is feeling better soon! Let me know if there's anything you need!

Adrienne said...

I don't know if it's normal or not, but I am in the same boat! My adrenaline just starts pumping when Cael is really upset, and if I feel like someone else is putting him in danger my defenses just go up and I get into mother bear mode! Yet it's a lot easier for Adam to stay calm and cool. Hope Palmer keeps improving and hope to see you Tues!

Rie Pie said...

Wow. I just go home and you already have 2 comments.
lol.
I'm sad that Palmer is sick. It makes me cry too.
Ps. Thanks for adding my boobie shot to the Christmas pics below. lol.

Stoney said...

I haven't had to deal with Croup, but I can emphasize with a sick child. It sounds like it is getting better, kepp us posted!! I know when Ethan was younger I would do everything to stop him form crying, but i quickly learned, when Jackson was born, that it is OK to cry and not always possible to pick up and comfort. I am grateful for the lesson or I think I would have driven myself to the state hospital.

Tiffany said...

I think it's a guy thing to tune babies cries out. My ears instantly perk up when I hear Lilly cry and Jay doesn't realize she's been crying for the past 10 minutes until I bring her into the same room as him. Lilly's been sick too, which is no fun! She tries so hard to be happy all the time, but we've had our fair share of cry-fests at our house. Hope Palmer gets better soon!

Lisa said...

You are just a MOM now dear Lera,
Men can tune most things out, but not us. This little person is a part of you and you will always feel this way. You will learn with time how to deal with it better, but your heart will always brake when they are in pain. My youngest has Asthma, so I am often the wheezing police. Just love and take care of your little guy the best way you know how. You are a wonderful mommy.