Saturday, December 20, 2008

Luminary

The cemetery where my mother is laid to rest does a luminary each Christmas. They fill the entire memorial park with lighted candles, one for each person buried there. We drove through it tonight. It was absolutely lovely. I was touched by the efforts of property owners. How kind of them to give families who have lost a loved one the chance to remember and commemorate this season. What a blessing it is that people are mindful of the difficulties others face this time of year. It truly is the season of giving, giving gifts, giving time, giving talents and this evening, giving the gift of empathy and comfort in what may easily be a sorrowful time.

1 comment:

Rie Pie said...

I'm so glad that you guys went. It really is beautiful isn't it. I love my friends that took me there. They sang carols in front of Mom's grave and slipped and slided a lot on the snow and ice. I bet Mom loved both.